Our handpicked list of best natural deodorants that are effective on men and women
Finding the best deodorant for sensitive skin can be quite the challenge – particularly if you want a deodorant that keeps you smelling great without aggravating your delicate skin. Truth is, most chemicals-based deodorants contain harmful ingredients such as parabens and aluminum that aggravate skin conditions.
For this reason, natural deodorants are a safe and healthy alternative to regular antiperspirants. With organic deodorants, you no longer need to worry about skin irritation and rashes. Plus, the different perfume options keep you invigorated and fragrant all day long.
To help you choose the best natural deodorant for your sensitive skin, we’ve handpicked five top-rated organic deodorants available today.
Five Best Natural Deodorants for Sensitive Skin:
|Product name||Scent options||Fragrance-free option||Applicator type||Ingredients||Price|
|Schmidt’s Natural Deodorant for Sensitive Skin||Five scents||Fragrance-free||Stick and cream||Arrowroot powder, coconut oil, shea butter, essential oils, Vitamin E||
|Green Tidings Organic All-Natural Deodorant||Lavender||Unscented||Stick||Tapioca starch, coconut oil, baking soda, shea butter, candelilla wax, magnesium oil, lavender scent||Check latest price
|Freedom All-Natural, Aluminum Free Deodorant||Four scents||Unscented||Stick||Natural beeswax, coconut oil, shea butter, kaolin clay, baking soda, arrowroot powder, essential oils||Check latest price
|Bali Secrets Natural Deodorant||Four scents||Fragrance-free||Stick||Pure essential oils, seaweed extract, aloe vera gel, mineral salts||Check latest price
|Almay Sensitive Skin Clear Gel, Anti-Perspirant & Deodorant||Powder-fresh||Fragrance-free||Stick||Aluminum Sesquichlorohydrate, aqua glycol, glycerin and others||Powder-fresh: check latest price
Reviews of 5 Best Natural Deodorants for Sensitive Skin
Schmidt’s Natural Deodorant for sensitive skin is available in five scents: tea tree, jasmine tea, coconut pineapple, lavender tips, and geranium flower. The deodorant uses these different perfume flavors to mask your body odor. This is also available as a fragrance-free option.
The deodorant, which comes in both cream and stick applicator formulations, is made of natural vegan formulation. The product is completely natural and does not contain any ammonium, parabens or glycol. Its ingredients include coconut oil, essential oils, shea butter, and arrowroot powder.
What sets this deodorant apart is that it does not cake or cause flaking when applied on your skin. Plus, it’s one of the few natural deodorants that is devoid of baking soda or sodium bicarbonate. As a result, it does not cause skin irritation or rashes that tend to stem from sensitivity to baking soda.
To add to that, this deodorant keeps you fresh and dry all day even though it is not an antiperspirant. It is also effective in combating body odor, leaving you feeling fresh and smelling great throughout the day. Most users have found that the perfume from this deodorant lingers on for upto 48 hours. The fragrance-free option is a bonus for those who have a sensitive nose.
What we liked:
- This is a vegan and cruelty-free formulation with natural and organic ingredients that effectively absorb sweat and fight body odor without causing any irritation to sensitive skin.
- There’s a great choice of fragrances to choose from as it comes in six perfume flavors, including a fragrance-free version.
- For those who have a sensitive nose, the fragrance-free option is a welcome choice to avoid those migraines and sicknesses triggered by sweet or sharp smells.
- This deodorant is long lasting, keeping you fresh throughout the day and leaving you smelling great in the process.
- It does not contain baking powder and is, therefore, great on sensitive skin as it does not cause rashes or breakouts.
- Most users also assert that the switch from regular, chemicals-based deodorant to this natural deodorant is so much easier as this does not cause the stench that you commonly get when switching from aluminum.
What we didn’t like:
- Some users complain that the deodorant leaves behind a stain on some clothes. This is most likely due to the essential oils that are found in this deodorant.
- Users with extremely sensitive skin complain that the deodorant does cause a rash. Therefore, you should try the product on a lesser sensitive area of your body to check for any allergic reaction. However, others contend this was part of the natural process of adjusting to a natural product from a chemical-based one.
- Green Tidings Organic All-Natural Deodorant
The Green Tidings natural deodorant comes with an organic formulation that is certified by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The deodorant is devoid of any perfume or harmful ingredients such as parabens or aluminum. The deodorant, which is manufactured in a solar-powered plant in Southern California, is also certified as cruelty-free.
Despite being made up of some very basic essentials, this deodorant is actually very effective. This natural deodorant uses baking soda and coconut oil to fight body odor. Most users assert that this is effective even in extremely hot and humid weather conditions and during strenuous workouts.
The deodorant, which comes in the form of a stick applicator, is available in lavender scent and a fragrance-free version. While this is not an antiperspirant, it is effective in soaking up moisture and reducing sweat. That’s because the baking soda acts to soak up moisture and lessen perspiration.
Most users also give this deodorant top marks for its smooth consistency, which makes it easy to apply. The starch from the cassava plant, coconut oil, and shea butter all work to smoothen and moisturize the skin.
What we liked:
- The deodorant was formulated using completely natural ingredients such as starch, coconut oil, and wax that moisturizes and softens the skin. Its ingredients also include baking soda, which acts as a natural deodorant and helps absorb sweat.
- It is free of toxic ingredients that are commonly found in regular deodorants and antiperspirants such as aluminum, parabens, glycol, and phthalates.
- The tapioca starch in the deodorant helps absorb perspiration, reducing the amount you sweat. As a result, you feel dry and fresh all day long.
- The effects of this deodorant are long-lasting. Most people found this to be effective for at least 24 hours.
What we didn’t like:
- Some users with underarm hair may find it a bit difficult to apply due to the consistency.
- While this deodorant is effective as a safer alternative to chemicals-based deodorants, some users still developed a rash after using the deodorant. However, this tends to go away within a month of using the natural product as the rash is likely the effect of switching from an aluminum-based product
- You may also suffer from skin irritation if you are sensitive to any natural ingredients such as lavender oil.
Now if you’re looking for a deodorant that is free of any synthetic perfume and is completely natural, then look no further. This is one of the best organic deodorants for sensitive skin as it is free of any parabens or aluminum.
Its natural ingredients work to detox your body in a healthy, natural manner. And it leaves you smelling good too. No wonder then that this is considered one of the best available men’s and women’s deodorant for sensitive skin.
The Freedom deodorant was created by owner Ira Green after her search for safe and effective natural deodorants proved futile. After three of Ira’s friends were diagnosed with breast cancer, she sought out natural beauty products that were affordable and effective. Her search yielded nothing. The result was the Freedom brand: an affordable, healthy, natural and effective alternative to regular chemicals-based deodorants.
This deodorant contains natural ingredients such as shea butter, peach apricot oil, bees wax, coconut oil, and lemon oil. Thanks to these ingredients, your body will finally get the much-needed break from the chemicals found in regular deodorants. The organic ingredients work their magic to help you detox naturally and restore your body to its normal pH levels.
This natural deodorant also comes in five different perfume flavors. These are amber, bergamot mint, frankincense peach, lavender citrus, and sensitive unscented. The sensitive unscented option is a great substitute for those who cannot stand smells or want a fragrance-free deodorant.
What we liked:
- The Freedom deodorant is made using natural food-grade ingredients, making it a healthy and safe choice for users. It does not contain harmful, toxins such as aluminum and parabens.
- There are four all-natural scent options that leave you smelling great and feeling fresh all day long. This deodorant also has a fragrance-free version for those who prefer an unscented option.
- This deodorant features curved sides that are designed for easy application. This also helps remove any discomfort for those who have undergone a lumpectomy.
- The brand was founded to give back to organizations that help individuals fight cancer. It supports some worthy causes that help cancer patients win the battle against this disease.
What we didn’t like:
- You should expect to go through a detox period as your body adjusts to the natural ingredients. This may include an increased melanin production, which may cause dark patches under your arms.
- A few users complain that this formulation burned their skin. But worry not. You can always get in touch with the company and ask for one with a formulation that is more suited to your sensitive skin.
If you’ve tried other natural deodorants but still suffer from skin irritation, baking soda may be the most likely cause. In that case, you need to seek out a good baking soda-free option such as the Bali Secrets natural deodorant.
This natural and vegan deodorant is absent of any aluminum, GMOs, parabens, and synthetic preservatives. The perfume from natural ingredients such as aloe vera gel, seaweed extract, and essential oils lend a gorgeous mix of zesty and floral scent that is both fresh and balanced. Indeed, this deodorant is highly effective in fighting body odor in both men and women. It comes in four scents: aloe delight, delicate rose, original essence, and sandalwood. There’s also a fragrance-free option.
This liquid deodorant is easy to use and comes as a roll-on applicator. The perfume from this deodorant lasts all day, masking all traces of body odor after the most strenuous of workouts.
What’s great about this deodorant is that it doesn’t stain your clothes or leave behind any white residue. This means, you no longer have to worry about ruining your favorite shirt or dress.
What we liked:
- This deodorant contains completely natural ingredients that work to naturally reduce the bacteria responsible for producing body odor and keep you fresh all day long.
- The product is certified as vegan and cruelty-free by PETA. In addition, its ingredients are certified as safe by cosmetics database EWG.org.
- This deodorant does not stain your clothes or leave any residue.
- This is long lasting, leaving you smelling great even on sweltering hot days or after tiring workout sessions.
- All users rave about the great customer service. So, if you ever encounter any trouble with the product, you can always expect great service.
- You get a 30-day money-back guarantee if you don’t like the product. Yes, that’s how sure the owner is about the effectiveness of this product.
What we didn’t like:
- This deodorant contains essential oils, so some users may suffer from irritation if they are sensitive to these oils.
- As with all deodorants, you may develop a rash as your body adjusts to detoxing the natural way.
- Almay Sensitive Skin Clear Gel, Anti-Perspirant & Deodorant
Almay is one of the best natural deodorants for sensitive skin. This deodorant is a true hypoallergenic as it is gentle on your skin. Many dermatologists tend to recommend this deodorant if you have extremely delicate skin or suffer from any medical condition.
Almay Sensitive Skin Clear Gel acts as both a deodorant as well as an anti-perspirant. It has a powder fresh scent that is both natural and light. The perfume is so light that you are unlikely to experience any irritation even if you are sensitive to smells. A fragrance-free version is also available if you are looking for a deodorant that doesn’t compete with your perfume.
The deodorant contains aluminum which acts as an anti-perspirant and reduces the wetness in your underarms. The clear gel also tends to dry quickly and is effective as it does not cause itching or rashes for those with sensitive skin.
The deodorant is also advertised to be gentle on your clothes as it does not leave behind any stains. However, several users complain that this product tends to bleach out your clothes on hot days.
What we liked:
- This deodorant is extremely effective on sensitive skin as it does not cause irritation or skin eruptions. It is advertised as a hypoallergenic and is true to its name.
- This product works well as both an anti-perspirant and a deodorant.
- This deodorant and anti-perspirant is available as a powder-fresh light scent or as a fragrance-free option.
What we didn’t like:
- This product contains aluminum which may be a cause of concern, given the health scare around that ingredient.
- The product usually appears to be one-third empty, even when it is sealed. This means it usually takes some twisting before you get it to the top of the container.
- This may stain your clothes in hot weather conditions, even though the product is advertised as non-staining.
Back to Basics…
Now that you’ve gone through our recommendations, it’s time to make your deodorant buy. Still, you may find yourself asking some basic questions about the product.
So, are you confused about whether to buy a deodorant or an anti-perspirant or both? Are you unsure if you need to use a natural deodorant for your skin? Or baffled by the choice of the many scented, unscented, or fragrance-free options?
Well, the truth is, most first-time deodorant users find themselves struggling with these questions when looking for the best deodorant. Here, we answer some of your questions in the hope of clearing up all those doubts before your next purchase.
Deodorant vs. anti-perspirant: A deodorant combats body odor through certain ingredients that fight the bacteria responsible for producing unwanted body odor. On the other hand, anti-perspirants contain aluminum which helps to prevent or reduce sweating by blocking the sweat pores. This hampers the natural process of sweating. Some products that are marketed as both deodorants and anti-perspirants work to fight body odor as well as reduce sweating.
Clinical strength deodorants: These deodorants and anti-perspirants are more effective than your regular anti-perspirants in keeping those extremely sweaty armpits dry and fresh. When your usual deodorants fail to prevent excessive sweating, you’ll find that clinical-strength deodorants and anti-perspirants pose as an effective solution to your problems.
Scented vs. unscented vs. fragrance-free deodorants: Scented deodorants fight body odor and can leave you smelling great, depending on the perfume flavor you choose. However, for those who are sensitive to smells, using the unscented or fragrance-free deodorants may be a better option. Note that the unscented versions may contain certain light masking scents while the fragrance-free version is devoid of any perfume.
Natural deodorants: Natural deodorants contain organic ingredients that deodorize your body. They also allow your body to detox the natural way, rather than by clogging sweat pores. In other words, these products do not contain aluminum and, as such, do not act as anti-perspirants. However, some of these deodorants do contain baking soda which soaks up moisture and reduces sweating.
Deodorants for sensitive skin: For those with sensitive skin, using natural deodorants may be a safe alternative to chemicals-based deodorants that tend to aggravate skin conditions. Natural deodorants use ingredients such as natural fragrances, essential oils, starch, and salts. Still, a few natural deodorants contain essential oils and baking soda which may cause irritation for some people. Experts recommend those with sensitive skin avoid citrus oils, lavender, and clove, and opt instead for chamomile.
What Happens When You Switch to A Natural Deodorant?
When you switch from a regular, chemicals-based deodorant to one that contains natural ingredients, you’ll find that your skin will take some time to adjust.
This may lead to some rashes breaking out as your skin gets used to the natural process of detoxing.
You’ll also find that you tend to sweat more as your sweat ducts are no longer being blocked by chemicals.
Others may even see some pigmentation due to the increase in melanin production. However, these should resolve themselves in due time and leave you feeling naturally fresh and dry.
Addressing A Much-Hyped About Myth Related to Deodorants
Using a deodorant was once an inevitable reality. However, there’s been a lot of hype in the recent past linking deodorants to medical conditions such as breast cancer. This is causing many existing and potential users to question whether there’s any truth in these claims.
According to the American Cancer Society, the claims that deodorants increase the risk of breast cancer is unfounded. They add that scientists found no relation between the use of deodorants and anti-perspirants to breast cancer. They also assert that these claims are not backed by science or research.
So, with that, it’s clear that any warnings about the hazards of using deodorants should not be taken seriously. Unless, of course, such claims are backed by scientific proof. In either case, opting for natural deodorants should prove to be a safe and healthy bet for the long term.
In short, whether you have a sensitive skin, or you’re simply eyeing a healthy way of staying fresh, you don’t need to look too far. Fortunately, there are great alternatives in the form of natural deodorants that use safe, organic ingredients.
And yet, it usually takes a while for most people to find the natural deodorant that works best for their skin. That’s why, we believe these above-mentioned five best natural deodorants for sensitive skin should make your search for the perfect deodorant a whole lot easier. And quicker!